Armored Core is a mecha-based video game series developed by From Software for the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Mobile Phone platforms. Armored Core games are Mecha Simulation/third-person shooters, in which the player pilots a large mecha called an Armored Core, or AC for short. Armored Core V is the fourteenth and latest title in the series; it was released in Japan on January 26, 2012 and in the US on March 20, 2012.
Common elements[edit source | edit]Edit
Story elements vary widely throughout the series but gameplay is generally focused on the Player's character as a Silent protagonist, acting as a mercenary, completing missions assigned by various in-game corporations and individuals. The Player's character pilots their mecha (armored core) to perform duties such as destroying enemy units/facilities or protecting a designated element from the attack by the opposing forces. Silent protagonist remains only to the popular game series except for movies, anime, manga, and non-gaming related.
The game places a heavy emphasis on customization; the structure of the mecha the player uses in combat is standardized and modular, consisting of a number of interchangeable parts. The player composes their mecha from parts they obtain by finding them in missions, fulfilling certain requirements, or by buying them from an in-game shop. Money is earned by finishing missions; typically each mission has a set reward for its completion from which deductions are made based on damage taken, amount of ammunition used, and completion time. Certain missions also offer bonuses for completing optional objectives.
Certain games in the series offer additional part categories but the following are shared among all games:
- Head (different heads feature different cameras that work in conjunction with the FCS)
- Arms (used to hold various weapons, though full weapon-types exist as well)
- Legs (five types exist: Quad legs, reverse-joint bipedal legs, hover types, tank types, and standard bipedal types)
- Core (the mecha's 'torso' where the generator, radiator and cockpit are situated)
- Generator (the unit's power supply)
- Boosters (increases mecha speed and enables flight when engaged)
- FCS (Fire Control System; controls weapon targeting)
- Arm and back weapons/units (ultimate weapon added in only Armored Core V acted as a back unit)
- Arm shields/swords